A healthy diet, exercise and weight control is essential for preventing or controlling diabetes in children. Healthy meal plans and exercise routines can be set up to encourage your child to eat healthy and more physically fit. If your child is overweight, a weight loss program is a worthwhile consideration.
Blood Sugar Levels
Blood sugar levels that are higher than usual make your child vulnerable to developing type 2 diabetes. Healthy meals and increased levels of physical activity can be beneficial towards returning sugar levels to normal along with preventing type 2 diabetes. Seeing a doctor on a regular basis will help to monitor the situation and identify any symptoms in a timely manner.
Although type 2 diabetes was previously considered a concern among adults, more children are becoming susceptible to the disease because of unhealthy lifestyles. The risk of developing type 2 disease is higher among overweight children.
It is possible to prevent type 2 disease in children by making a few simple adjustments in their lifestyles. Even the slightest loss of weight can have a major impact on the ability to prevent diabetes or delaying its onset.
Weight loss is usually a challenging undertaking especially if you do not have support. This is why it is always a good idea to involve the entire family and let everyone enjoy the benefits of a healthy diet. Both children and adults can lose weight effectively when they eat healthy. Visit onetouchdiabetes.co.in for more about diabetes control.
Type 2 Prevention Tips for Children
- Encourage children to drink enough water and cut down on the amount of sugary drinks that do not provide any nutritional benefits. Include more vegetables and fruits in your daily meal plans. Substitute high fat and excessively sweet snacks with healthy snacks such as popcorn and nuts.
- If you have to eat out avoid fast food that is high in fat and sugar. Help your children make healthier tasty choices on your outings. Losing weight will also require you to be more active. Read elitedaily’s recent article on diabetes.
- Many children prefer to sit in front of the television all day and hardy get any exercise. Restrict the amount of time spent watching TV and playing video games to a specified number of hours each day.
- Children require an adequate amount of time to exercise during the week. They can get active in a variety of ways including riding bikes, dancing, taking walks, playing in the park and using stairs.
- Set goals that you reward whenever the child achieves them. Rewarding your children whenever they make progress will encourage them to put in more effort.
Children that have type 2 diabetes may not experience any symptoms. However, if you notice them being thirstier than usual, urinating frequently or being excessively tired, you should get in touch with a doctor.
Help your children become more active every day and teach them how to prepare healthy snacks. Show them how to make healthier choices when you shop for groceries or go out to eat. Reduce food portion sizes accordingly and maintain healthy weight. Serve as a good example for your children by eating healthy meals and exercising with them.
Esther Walsh is a dietician who specializes in creating healthy meal plans for children and teenagers. Help your children stay healthy and remain active by reading her blog regularly.
269 total views, 5 views today