Hey there ! My name is Rahul Mathur and I blog at ablogwithadifference. Born on 4 th April 1992 in New Delhi. I am currently a XII class student in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh,India. I love reading and writing about internet related technologies and gadgets. Read the rest of the entry, to know more about my experiences and thoughts !
Q: Welcome to Speakbindas. Tell us since when blogging has been a part of your life? Was there any motive or inspiration as a backbone of it?
- Ans.: Thank your for giving me this opportunity Speakbindas . I initially started blogging in 2006, but that was just a case of curiosity, nothing more. In terms of being dedicated towards blogging, I started in the year 2008, just after my X grade board exams. Being an internet technology ( social media,etc ) blogger, my motive was to share my knowledge with people of similar interests and gain knowledge from veteran and professional bloggers.
Q: What is your blog all about? Which topics you cover there? Is that you alone running/maintaining the blog, or have a team?
- Ans.: My blog is about various internet related technologies / startups / entertainment / games / gadgets / softwares , etc . I have aptly ( hopefully ) titled my blog as : A Blog with a DiffeRence .
- I would love to take help from somebody but I never had faith in the Multiple author system of Blogger, so yeah i have been blogging all alone.
Q.: How important is it for the blogger to interact with their readers? Do you respond to all the comments that you receive?
- Ans.: If you start a blog, you know that you have to attract visitors. There are various means of getting people to read your blog, and as many pro bloggers have suggested : Interaction with readers is very important. Interaction not only helps in gaining ” permanent visitors ” which is essential , it also has a great amount of contribution in building up a community of people around your blogosphere .
Q: What are the present statistics for your blog, i.e. number of daily visitors, visitors geographical status etc.?
- Ans.: Since i temporarily stopped blogging since December 2008, the current statisics are a far cry from the value of my ‘ blogging days ‘, anyways i get around 500 – 650 visitors a day, most of them are from India and United States of America.
- I have maintained 2.5 k to 3 k visitors a day during the last few months of 2008 and had PR 3 in around 1.5 months after i started bloggings. Also, my blog was in Top 17,000 sites in India and had a rank < 270,000 worldwide .
Q: Is blogging for you just a passion or a medium for earning too? Does it help you to earn enough cash to quit a 9 to 5 day job?
- Ans.: Blogging was my passion, I love writing about what i know and what i love. I blogged till 2008 without any advertisement on my blog. But once i did leave blogging I decided to add Google Adsense to my blog realizing that i can earn a descent amount with around 600 – 700 daily users . By the way, I am still in school ( I am 17 years old …) so I don’t have a 9 to 5 job at the moment
Q: Who are your favorite bloggers, whom you read frequently?
- Ans.: I can’t really point out an individual, I tend to read blogs that have numerous authors, so i generally focus on their topics not their name
- But yeah, Michael Arrington of Techcrunch and Pete Cashmore of Mashable is what I look up to as successful bloggers who have helped create a new audience for internet related technology and startups.
Q: From the secret bucket of your blogging experiences, what tips you would like to share with the fellow bloggers?
- Ans.: The tip would be to start with a motive of providing quality content not money, money will follow if your content is creative and genuine. If you are starting a blog, I recommend you start with Google owned Blogger ( once you are ready to go Pro you can always use WordPress ) . Try and submit your sites to as many directories and communities as possible. Try promoting your blogs on various forums, but please DONT Spam. What worked really well for me was being a part of blogging community at Blogcatalog. com , its an exceptional site for young bloggers. I recommend it to every blogger. Its your blog promoting skills, originality and quality that makes your blog a successful blog . Like every other thing, you have to dedicate time to blogging. Good luck.
Q: Do you believe that blogging completes you? If yes, tell us how?
- Ans.: Blogging is made me what I am today, people ( In the real world come to me for latest tech related news and query. It has made me realize what I am good at and indirectly helped me in choosing my future goals. A successful guy once said – In this competetive world, you have to be different from others, or else you’ll be just a random face in the crowd .
Q: What was the happiest and gloomiest moment of your life?
- Ans.: With respect to my virtual life, It was the happiest day of my life when i was titled as “new prince of the blog world ” by the blogging team at Colormailer.com and also when i was featured in the list of Top Young bloggers under the age of 21 ” by the guy behind Retireat21.com and i was no. 27 on that list. The gloomiest days of my virtual life has to be those ” Internet addiction ” days in 2007 , won a tough battle in the End
Q: Say, you are sponsored to travel to 3 world destinations, where you need not to worry about costs for food, hotel or anything. Which destinations would you pick up, and why? Would you like to take someone along with you? If yes, whom?
- Ans.: Wouldn’t that be awesome ? I’d love to go to China, New Zealand and of course United States of America and i’ll take my parents with me
Q: Are you into watching movies? If yes, which fills your list of favorite ones?
- Ans.: I love movies and try getting my hands on Hollywood DVDs as soon as I find some time. My favorite list is long, really long. Trust me you’ll be bored so yeah I am doing ya’ll a favor here.
Q: How has blogging helped you other than money?
- Ans.: As I mentioned before, blogging ” has made me realise what i am good at and indirectly helped me in choosing my future goals ” . Plus, I now have lots of amazingly talented and open hearted internet buddies .
Q: What would be the one thing you’d change about yourself?
- Ans.: I am lazier than your wildest imagination, at the moment I wish that all my thoughts could be transmitted as information signals from my brain directly to the P.C. without stressing my tiny little fingers. So won’t mind being a little less lazy.
Q: What is your deepest fear?
- Ans.: My deepest fear is that you won’t publish this questionnaire after all the writing and time I spent on this !
Q: If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be?
- Ans.: Tough question, but my answer would be Albert Einstein. All the work he has done in his life time is something unbelievable. I don’t mind meeting Newton by the way, would gift him an apple ( not the iPod / iPhone Apple guys ! )
Q: Which is your favorite television show? Favorite songs?
- Ans.: I don’t watch much T.V. these days due to a strict time table ( I have Board Exams this year, remember ? ), I used to enjoy Wrestling and Cartoon / anime series like Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and Beyblade as a kid . I am a big fan of Metallica,Coldplay,Bon Jovi, and Led Zeppelin. If you want me to list the favorite songs, that would really be time consuming for me and you.
Q: How much money do you have in your purse/wallet right now (including change)?
- Ans.: None, whatever pocket money I get is spent on various restaurants or random magazine and books or mostly on my G.P.R.S. bill
Q: What is your favorite food? Any particular dislikes?
- Ans.: I love Mughlai, Chinese and Mexican cuisines. Dislikes ? I hate Chholle Bhature and i have no reason for it . Not even my mother knows why i haven’t even tasted it yet.Weird, right ?
Q: What’s your take on the technological advancement these days? Does it make people’s life simple or complicated?
- Ans.: Technology is built on the principles of making lives simpler. The term complicated is actually made by people who aren’t into technology so much. Let me give you an example, the first time you saw a guy working on a computer, you would have been shocked and awed, but now nearly *every* body owns a P.C., it went from being complicated to easy to use, informative and functional device. A new technology is developed to surpass its current form, unless there is something new ( or you can call it as complicated since its new to most of us ) its obvious that people wouldnt pay an extra buck for it .Thus, developers have to upgrade and update to better their previous work. So technological advancement are making our lives better in tons of ways. It isn’t complicated once you are used to it !
Q: What do you think of “blogging is the next BIG thing”?
- Ans.: I remember people saying this months after the popularity of the Blogging Platform ” Blogger” ( which is way back ) since people could finally write about their thoughts and feelings ” for free ” . People were busy creating and sharing ‘ free websites ‘ with friends and family. So yeah, its a VERY old statement : ” blogging is the next BIG thing “, but blogging is still relatively unknown to a vast population of people here in India. But in my opinion, it isn’t the next Big thing, it is already THE BIG THING a.t.m. . Let me modify your question a bit ” Is microblogging the next BIG thing ” ? , I’d say most probably, Yes.
Q: Any special message you would like to share with your blog readers as well with everyone else?
- Ans.: Well, i forgot to mention one important thing : Don’t dedicate too much time on the virtual world or you’ll loose contact with the real world which is the last thing you want to happen . Try balancing both sides of the world . For bloggers be creative, original and produce quality content . If you need further help or wanna get in touch with me. Follow me at twitter.com/weemundo . Good luck.
- Finally, thank you for giving me this opportunity SpeakBindas, its a great place to learn about the most clever bloggers around. You just got one more permanent reader . Thank you once again SpeakBindas